Spring Onion & Bacon Sausage Soup
2 bunches Green Onions, chopped
½ cup orzo, cooked, following the cooking instructions
1 package Big Fork Bacon Sausage, chopped
1 large Sweet Onion, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
6 crimini mushrooms, sliced
¼ c. Sherry
32 oz. Low-Sodium Chicken Stock
1 cup mushroom stock
2 cups onion blanching liquid
1 T. Lemon Juice
1 T. Tamari Soy Sauce
1 T. Brown Sugar, dark
1 t. Salt
½ t. Black Pepper
½ c. Heavy Cream
1 T. Stone Ground Mustard
- Blanch the green onions using 2 cups of boiling water. Boil the onions for 15 seconds then drain, keeping the liquid for the soup. Let the onions cool.
- Cook the orzo and set aside.
- In a large stock pot over medium heat brown the sausage on all sides. Add the onions, celery and mushrooms, and brown over medium heat until the onions are nice and brown.
- Add the sherry and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the green onion, and orzo, and let marry for at least 10 minutes prior to serving or chill.