Kale, Whitefish, & Bacon Sausage
½ cup orzo, cooked, following the cooking instructions
1 package Big Fork Bacon Sausage, quartered lengthwise and sliced thin
3 Sweet Onions, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
6 crimini mushrooms, sliced
1 lb. whitefish fillets
¼ c. Sherry
32 oz. Low-Sodium Chicken Stock
1 cup mushroom stock
2 cups onion blanching liquid
1 T. Lemon Juice
1 T. Tamari Soy Sauce
1 T. Brown Sugar, dark
1 t. Salt
½ t. Black Pepper
½ c. Heavy Cream
1 T. Stone Ground Mustard
- Cook the orzo and set aside.
- In a large stock pot over medium heat brown the sausage on all sides. Remove the sausage from the pan. Let the sausage cool and slice into bite size pieces. Reserve until the soup is finished.
- Add the onions, celery, mushrooms, and fish and brown over medium heat until the onions are nice and brown. Add Extra Virgin Olive Oil if necessary.
- Add the sherry and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except orzo and sausage) and simmer for 20 minutes. Puree the soup using a hand blender.
- Add the orzo, and sausage and let marry for at least 30 minutes prior to serving or chill.