Bacon Sausage & Chicken Gumbo
1 whole fryer chicken
3 quarts water
½ cup flour
½ cup unsalted melted butter
1 pound sliced okra, fresh or frozen
2 cups onions, medium diced
1 cup green bell pepper, medium diced
½ cup celery, medium diced
1-16 ounce can of diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon rubbed sage
½ teaspoon black pepper
12 ounces (1 package) fully cooked Big fork cracked black pepper bacon sausage, sliced into rounds
- Place whole chicken in a pot, cover with water and simmer for 1 hour until chicken is tender and easily removed from the bones. Reserve the stock and remove all meat from bones and pull apart into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a large skillet sauté the okra in 2 tablespoons of oil for 10-15 minutes or until all liquid is gone. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat ½ cup oil over medium heat. Add flour and make a dark rough. As soon as proper color is achieved, add the onions, bell pepper and celery and sauté, stirring and scraping occasionally until tender.
- When vegetables are tender, add the tomatoes and sautéed okra. Continue cooking for about 15 minutes. Add the bay leaf, thyme, basil, sage, peppers, and salt mix well.
- Pour in 8 cups of the chicken stock, bring to a boil, lower the heat and add the cooked chicken meat and bacon sausage. Simmer for 1 hour
Serve gumbo over white or brown steamed rice.