Savory Easter Bread
(3) 1lb. loaves of ready-made bread dough, defrosted.
4 links of Fully Cooked Big Fork Maple & Brown Sugar Bacon Sausage, sliced
5 hardboiled eggs, can be decorated
1 egg, uncooked
- Place a pan or deep cookie sheet filled with warm water into the 200° oven, with a rack above it.
- Roll each loaf of bread out with your hands on a lightly floured surface to produce (3) 24” L x 1.5” wide segments.
- Pinch the ends of one side of the segments together.
- Braid bread segments together while stuffing the bacon sausage chunks in between and underneath the dough.
- Once fully braided, pinch the loose ends together and wrap them around in a circle to make a ring, and pinch together with the other ends. Place on a large greased cookie sheet or skillet.
- Insert the hardboiled eggs into creases in the braids.
- Lightly brush the top of the dough with water.
- Turn the oven off, and place the dough into the oven to rise for at least 1 hour or until bread has risen about 1”.
- Whisk 1 egg with 3 TBSP of water in a bowl.
- Remove dough and water pan from the oven and pre-heat to 350°.
- Lightly brush the top of the dough with the egg wash. Let sit for one minute and repeat.
- Once oven had reaches 350°, bake the dough for 25 minutes turning once.
- Cover the top of the bread with aluminum to prevent burning the top and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan and allow to cool on a rack.