Bacon Sausage Scones
1 lb. butter, unsalted, softened
1 t. sea salt
1 t. black pepper, freshly cracked
½ t. cayenne pepper
2 T. dark brown sugar
2 lbs. Big Fork Bacon Sausage, any flavor, quartered lengthwise, then chopped thin
½ c. buttermilk
1.5 lbs. sharp cheddar, small diced or shredded
4 ½ c. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1. Using the paddle attachment of your mixer, beat the butter until light and airy. Add the seasonings and sugar and mix until uniform.
2. Add the sausage and eggs and mix until uniform. Add the buttermilk and cheddar and mix until even.
3. Mix the dry ingredients together then add to the sausage mixture and mix just until the flour is absorbed. Do not over mix.
4. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator or until you are ready to bake.
5. To bake: Heat your oven to 425F convection or 450F conventional. Using a small scoop or tablespoon portion out small rounds of dough on parchment paper. Bake for 10-12 minutes, depending upon the size of the dough balls. They should be golden brown on the outside but not burned. Stick a thermometer in the center of one or two so you know you’ve achieved a temperature to cook the sausage. Ideal temperature range: 140F – 160F.